Sunday, July 10, 2011

Limping Along

The Very Pretty Brace
When we were in Palm Desert in April, I injured my ankle.  At first I thought I broke it or fractured it but then it became clear I torn/injured the ligament.  I was given a really attractive soft brace to wear for 8-10 weeks.  Well, it has now been 13 weeks and still I am wearing the brace.  I don't have the same pain I had when I originally injured it but it still hurts if I turn my ankle the wrong way or if I walk on it too much.  I have to wear my ugliest pair of sneakers because those are the only shoes that will fit over the brace.  My little dog, Lucky, keeps chewing on the sneakers so they keep looking worse and worse.  You can see them in the background of the photo above.

One side effect of RA and the RA medications is not healing quickly.  It takes me a LONG time to heal when I get a cut or I get sick.  I have been told I am not allowed to have surgery of any kind without my primary doctor being notified in advance.  My last surgery was appendicitis and I ended up getting a secondary infection and ended up back in the hospital.  Two years ago I got the flu and it turned into pneumonia really fast.  So, I guess this torn ligament is taking it's time to heal.  If it takes regular folks 8-10 weeks to heal, it will take me 16-20 weeks to heal.  Just in time for the next excursion to New Jersey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!