Friday, February 3, 2012

Some Observations From This Week

I thought I would write about some observations from this week.  I either didn't write this week because I was way too sick or I was writing about being sick.  Gosh what fun!  It has been a whirlwind week and I can't believe it is Friday already.
  1. ER waiting rooms are an interesting place to people watch.  You really get to see people at their most intimate. I was trying to figure out what was wrong with everyone. (you can tell I had a LOT of time to kill)  Since it was not a trauma ER, some of the diagnosis were very hard.  As added bonus: at my ER I got to see an episode of CSI I had never seen before!
  2. ER staff don't laugh a lot.  I guess there is not much to laugh about in their job but when I get scared or nervous, I crack-wise (as my Dad puts it) and I can't help myself.  I am a smartass.  Those ER folk are a tough crowd, I could not get a laugh or, even in some cases, a smile!  I know it is a serious job but they need to lighten up.  The stress alone will get them.
  3. Okay, I have to admit it, I may have lied to some people about my condition.  There is a strange stomach flu going around and I have let people believe that I had the strange stomach flu instead of telling them I almost had a brain bleed.  Not my family or you my readers but clients and others.  It is easier to let them believe that I have the stomach thing that is going around rather than go into the saga of how I have some weird occipital headache.
  4.  I have the best rheumatologist.  She is just such a mom.  First, she took one look at me and sent me to the ER (thank goodness) and then she called to make sure I was okay after going to the ER.  She is just the greatest!
  5. Dogs are so intuitive.  My doggies know when I am ill and won't leave my side.  When I am in bed sick, they don't even want to leave me to go eat.  They lay on either side of me and, for once, don't argue over who is closer to and getting more attention from mommy.
  6. Hospitals are boring when you are not prepared.  I was not prepared since I didn't think I was going to be going to the hospital.  I had nothing with me but my smartphone.  I had no book, no IPad, no magazines, nothing.  This makes for a boring 8 1/2 hours.  Sure most of the time I was unable to do much but it would have been nice to have something to look at.  I tried to read off my smartphone (which I normally can do) but it was so small, it made my head ache.
  7. My neighbors are so nice.  When we thought I might be staying overnight, my neighbors were going to come and collect my car.  They were so helpful. The next morning I called to thank them and they wanted to hear the whole story and volunteered for any time in the future.  I say be careful what you volunteer for!!
  8. At one point I was in a hospital bed with the sides up (meaning I could not get out), with an IV in my arm, and no pants or underpants on (I had a gown on!). I had just emptied an IV of fluids.  Oh, and I needed to pee.  Where was my nurse?  I wish I could tell you.  I waited and waited.  I had to pee so bad.  I finally saw her and got her to lower the sides to the bed, unhook the IV and find a screen so I could put my pants on.  All so I could go to the bathroom.  Relief.
  9. It is such a wonderful thing to hear "you don't have a brain bleed".  Or Meningitis. 
Thanks for reading my observations for the week.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Adrienne--you really got put through the wringer last week! I'm glad you're okay, but sorry you have another "condition" to cope with. Crohn's and RA and stress fractures in your foot seem like MORE than enough to me!

    Animals really ARE empathetic, aren't they? At the moment, I'm surrounded by cats, but I have a sweet little dog at home (Finny McCool) and have had gods and/or cats as companions throughout my life. They have been my dearest buddies, always there when I feel bad. I'll admit that there are times when I like them far more than most humans!

    Have a fine, comfortable and joyous weekend, Adrienne. And stay out of emergency rooms, willya?

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!