Friday, February 10, 2012

Decision Making

When you have a big decision to make what method do you use to make that decision? I have a big decision to make and I need to make it quickly. I am thinking of going to a conference. So the big decision I have to make is do I go or not.

You might ask what are the hold ups? Let me lay them out for you.

1. The cost. This is a hard economic time. It will cost for the conference, hotel, plane, food, etc.
2. I won't be working. I own my own business so if I am away, no work gets done. No income to pay for said conference.
3. I won't know anyone at the conference. That is always intimidating and scarey.
4. My partner wants to come and what will she do all day while I am conferencing for two days?
5. The conference hotel is quite expensive so I need to another hotel for the extra nights we are staying. Hopefully one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
6. I worry I will get ill before we have to go or when we are there. Or when we return.

The reasons to go:
1. I really want to go.
2. It will be fun to sightsee.
3. It will be educational.

The negatives really outweight the positives. I guess I need to think and plan it out some more. Any ideas? Words of wisdom?

6 comments:

  1. It's a tough call, Adrienne. As far as I can see, the really important reason NOT to go is economic--the overall cost, the lost work time, the lack of compensation. Everything else can be worked around. And yet I know just how you feel--you really want to go. Sometimes just taking a break from the routine can be energizing and renewing. Not to mention just plain fun.

    Go with your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wren I have asked my travel guru brother to help me figure this out. I want to go and have some fun.

      Delete
  2. To raise cash you can: sell some old broken gold/silver jewelry, have a yard sale, sell some stuff on ebay, or maybe get a sponsor for the trip. Not sure exactly what type of conference this is but if it is health related maybe you could start a fundraiser of sorts to do this conference. I am not sure of the how to's on that one but what the heck....if you want it bad enough...you CAN make this happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. it is an arthritis conference which is why I really want to go. I have asked my brother the guru of travel to help me find cheap hotel and airfare.

      Delete
  3. I try to go places and do things while I can. I don't want to look back and wish I'd done something or visited a place when I'm not able to any more. I'm still relatively young, so hopefully I'll have years of travel ahead. But the world is a big place and there are so many great places to go and things to see. My advice is, if you think you can do it, go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!