Saturday, June 23, 2018

BEST PINK SATURDAY EVER!

Okay, my Pink Saturday started out slow.  (Pink Saturday is the day before the Gay Pride Celebration and the day after the Trans March) I got up and went to the supermarket.  I cleaned up the house a bit.  At 2:45 I walked up a hill to my friend's Pink Saturday party.  I always get invited and I always attend even though I hardly know anyone. 

First I need to tell you today was HOT.  I mean blazing hot.  90 degree hot.  I know you think peeshaw that isn't hot but for the north west that is HOT.  We have no air conditioners and no insulation.  I have a flat roof that just sucks up that heat. 

I walked up the hill to the party and I was sweating.  I was also wearing a feather boa (that I bought with my friend S) and it was sticking to my neck making me hotter.  I got to the party and there was no where to cool off.  Most of the shady parts were already taken and I hate being up against someone I don't know in the heat.  So I said my hellos and hugged and kissed and hung around for a few minutes and left.  With all those people there, I will not be missed.

Early in the morning I bought movie tickets to a movie I wanted to see mostly because my neighbor was the editor.  He is a really good film editor and I see all his stuff.  His last movie was on the short list for the Oscars.  I bought the ticket on the off chance that the party was a bust, I could go to the movie.

I walked down and got my ticket and got in line.  The movie was fantastic.  It was called Tonga Leitis in Waiting.  It might get picked up by HBO if you are interested.   It is the story of Joey Mataele and the Tonga Leitis, an intrepid group of transgender women fighting a rising tide of religious fundamentalism and intolerance in the South Pacific Kingdom.  It was funny, interesting, and educational.  I loved it.  I can't say that about most documentaries.  I was not bored for one minute.  Before the movie started the women came out and danced for us.

After the movie I came home.  I could not stay for the Q&A because the dogs had been couped up for too long in the heat.  I fed them and let them out.  I was eating my dinner when I heard this ruckus outside.  It was the group from the movie!  Joey Mataele and the Tonga Leitis and their family.  A huge Tonga group.  I put down my dinner and went outside to tell them how much I enjoyed the movie and Joey had already gone into my neighbor's house.  Remember I said my neighbor was the editor of the movie; he had invited them over after the movie. 

I don't think he was ready for an entire Tonga clan to arrive on his doorstep.  He had chips and salsa on the table.  He scrambled and make some pizza and pasta in a hurry.  I brought over some cookies.  There were easily 40 people in his house. 

The leitis sang and danced and there was music.  It was so much fun.  It sure beat watching Luke Cage!  They were all so gracious.  Joey was so sweet to me.  Welcomed me like she had known me forever. 

It was such a fun day.  Party, movie, party.  Wow!  Now tomorrow I am marching in Gay Pride.  I better get to bed.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!