Thursday, February 27, 2020

TIME TO BE HAPPI'S PROTECTOR

This is a very hard post to write.  If you are the type of person that things make you depressed, you may not want to read this.


My dog Happi has been living with me for 15 years.  Her 15-1/2 year birthday is May 5th.  That is the date she came to America.  Happi was born in Palau and was a street dog.  All dogs in Palau are street dogs and the people in Palau feed the dogs on their porches.  Happi was hit by a car when she was about one year old.  A visiting microbiologist saved her life because Palau doesn't have a veterinarian able to do surgery.  My veterinarian at the time worked with the Humane Society program that went into rural areas to spay and neuter animals.  She just happen to be arriving in Palau and saw Happi.  She redid the surgery on Happi's leg and removed the whole leg and shoulder.  She also spay her.  Then she put Happi on a plane (or planes) for three days to get to America.

Once she got to America I got the call "would you be interested in a cute dog named Happi?"  You see my dog Taiko had just passed away while my veterinarian was in Palau.  Taiko had stomach cancer.  I said fine bring Happi over and that is how I got Happi.  Of course Happi never left.  Happi is the happiest and chillest dog ever.  She wants every dog in the dog park to be her friend and loves every person.  Happi has always been my protector during difficult times. When she was 8 years old I got her a sister named Lucky.  After a few years, they are now best buddies.

Happi has been having a hard time for the last year.  Her kidneys don't work so well.  Her hips don't work so well.  Her front leg doesn't work hardly at all.  She can hardly hear and I think her vision is going.  She is having a hard time standing up and staying up.  She can't walk hardly at all anymore.

Now, it is my turn to make a decision.  I have to decide when and if it is time to be compassionate and let Happi pass on.  I am not ready yet but the time may be nearing.  I have to think of her and not of my feelings of sadness and fear and pain because I know she will be my forever protector and stay on this earth as long as she thinks I need her.  It is my turn to be Happi's protector.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!