Saturday, February 29, 2020

FOSTER TRAINING

This morning I woke up and went to a foster training.  Each year I have to do a certain number of credits in order to keep my foster certification.  Today I went to a training about Transracial Adoption.  It is about adoption families that adopt kids from another race.

It is important that if you adopt a kid that is from a different race that the kids culture, traditions, religion, and food are made an important part of your family life.  They did a few activities that were moving.  They had us write down 5 different things we considered important (family, friends, pets, work, neighbors) and then we had to get rid of one of them by crumbling one of them up.  Then a second and a third and fourth and finally a fifth.  Then they asked how we felt if we lost all those things.  That is what happens to foster kids.  They lose everything (their family, friends, pets, school, neighbors, teachers) when they get removed from their parents and get put with a foster family.  It is a hard exercise to do.

Then they asked for volunteers to talk about something they have lost.  No one was putting their hand up so I did.  I spoke about losing my previous foster kid.  Yes, tears were spilled.

It was a good training.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!