Tuesday, May 14, 2019

MAKING BUTTERNUT SQUASH SAUCE

The kid hates tomato pasta sauce.  He loves pasta but hates pasta sauce.  This makes it hard for a vegan household since pasta sauce is a staple especially for kids.  When he came to visit the first time, his current parents sent him with a jar of butternut squash pasta sauce from Trader Joe's.  It was vegetarian but not vegan.  I allowed it because I was told he was super picky and would get upset if he didn't have his sauce.

Once he moved in, he and I talked about what being vegan was and why he could not have that sauce anymore since it contained milk.  We bought two other jars of different brands of butternut sauce but they didn't taste the same so they were tossed out.  I didn't even like them.

About week two I told him I am a very good cook.  The kid didn't believe me.  Then I made him vegan pancakes. He loved them.  Then we made tofu bites and he loved them.  Then we made vegan chocolate chip cookies and he gobbled them up.  Then I made barbecue tofu and he asked for seconds and yesterday asked me to make it again! 

I told him just wait until I can get a butternut squash and I will make the sauce and it will taste just the same (or at least close since I never tasted it).  He didn't believe me.  So today I made it.  He barely wanted to taste it because he was scared.  Then he tasted it and VOILA!  He wanted seconds.  I guess I nailed it.  Again!  I made enough that I can freeze some for another week since he only uses a small bit (not like how most kids use pasta sauce where they soak the pasta) and we will have some for a few weeks.

Here is a photo:

It is nice and creamy and sweet.  I enjoyed it very much.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!