Saturday, August 25, 2018

IS MY LAPTOP DYING?

Yesterday my laptop started making a whistling noise.  It just started out of the blue.  I use my laptop for 10-12 hours per day.  I am scared it is dying and I have to buy another laptop on one of my busiest weeks of the month. 

I backed up my computer last night and today I am taking it to the shop.  I need a geek to look at it and tell me what is wrong.  I got there and there was no line.  I found out later that I was supposed to make an appointment but, you know me, I just walked up and the had the guy wait on me. 

He asked me if I had the extended warranty?  I had it for the first year but the computer is about to be 2 years old.  He ran a diagnostic while I got to know the guy sitting next to me.  He is starting online grad school on Monday and his computer bugged out.  I know that type of stress. 

The diagnostics went fine and the noise started up.  I had told them I thought it was the fan and guess what, they think it is the fan.  They do not have the part and told me to go to another place to get it fixed.  It will only cost about $80.  But first he blew out the fan twice and changed my processing speed to a lower speed.  He said I had it at the highest speed and that may be making it whistle too.  He said to test it at the lower processing speed for a day or two and see if it still whistles.  He said it won't hurt anything.  Then if it starts whistling again go get the fan fixed.

It sounds like a plan to me.  He said my computer is in really good shape otherwise and I don't need to buy another one.  That surprised me since they sell computers, I thought they would try to get me to buy another computer.

So fingers crossed that this works.  Oh, forgot to tell you the best part.  They didn't charge me for the tech visit.  Just a good luck and go to the other place to buy the fan if it still has problems.  What a shock!  I was there for 45 minutes and no charge.  Awesome.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!