Friday, April 18, 2014

SHOWER RENOVATION

No this is not a planned renovation. The other day I noticed the floor in our shower stall was bulging. Our shower is one of these modern designs. The base of the stall is fancy cement.  It is a lovely dark brown color. Then about three feet up it has tile for about six feet. There is also a cement bench that is off-white.

Okay this is not the best photo. It looks like there is a clock in the shower, there isn't. It is the reflection of the glass door. But you get the idea.

The bulging floor means there is a leak and water has gotten underneath. This is not good.  Hopefully the shower pan has done its job and no water has leaked.

I spent the morning calling contractors to figure out what to do. Obviously, fix it. But how?  Finally I got a really nice green builder who helped me problem solve the whole thing. He made me see what I had already figured out: I had to give up the cement floor in the shower. The fancy cement is so specialized I couldn't find anyone else to do it. I needed to go with tile. It would be cheaper and easier to find someone to fix it. I called a about three places to have them come and give me quotes. One guy is coming tomorrow.

Just in case you are wondering, my original contractor (we can call him Jabba the Hutt) and I had a difference of opinion when he started making decisions during my remodel that I didn't approve.  Then when confronted he said I hurt his feelings, loaded up my supplies (tile, etc) and left.  Never to be seen again.  

Then I called to check on the tile. It is no longer being made. Why? Because the quarry has run out of this rock, so there is no more of this type of tile rock pattern.  There is only a small bit of the tile left at the company. WHAT?!  I asked if they had the amount that I needed. YES!  Brenda and I went straight down to buy it.  Now I have the tile to fix the shower on order. Whew!  Now I just need someone to do the work and tear up my beautiful shower. Sob!

Today I also went to the museum with my friend C. It was fun to see a great exhibit and catch up.  A little culture.

Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!