Tuesday, August 21, 2012

NO ENBREL?

I realized I used my last dose of Enbrel on Sunday.  Today I called to order some more.  I was told I would not get any delivered until next Tuesday.  What?!  I have never had a problem getting Enbrel delivered in the same week if I ordered early in the week.  Is there some sort of shortage of Enbrel going on that I don't know about?  Is anyone else having a problem getting their Enbrel?  I don't keep too much Enbrel in the house because living on the West Coast I worry about power outages and it going bad.  I don't want to lose $1,700 worth of medication in a power outage if I am not at home to put it on ice.   I guess I will have to now!  My Sunday dose will become my Tuesday dose.

We got some surprising news this week.  My partner Brenda was diagnosed with glaucoma.  A week and a half ago Brenda got an eye infection and she went to the eye doctor.  While she was there the doctor noticed something wrong.  She asked us to come back for tests.  We went back last week and yesterday we got the results.  Brenda has the very beginnings of glaucoma. She has been given eye drops to start using.  We go back in 6 weeks.  Brenda is very lucky that she got that eye infection.  Chances are she would not have gone for an eye check up for about a year or so.  So the eye infection may have saved her vision from getting worse.  Amazing how something bad can turn into something good!

Glaucoma Statistics:
  • It is estimated that over 2.2 million Americans have glaucoma but only half of those know they have it.
  • In the U.S., more than 120,000 are blind from glaucoma, accounting for 9% to 12% of all cases of blindness.
  • Blindness from glaucoma is 6 to 8 times more common in African Americans than Caucasians.

Until tomorrow...

4 comments:

  1. Hugs to Brenda from the Raleigh Blums. We hope to hear a good prognosis in the coming weeks when she goes back for her re-check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How aggravating about your Enbrel! I understand your frustration. Did the pharmacist explain the delay? I hope this doesn't mean a nasty flare...

    Thank goodness Brenda's glaucoma was diagnosed early, before it could start permanently damaging her eyes! And thank goodness for modern medicine that allows for treatment of what once was (and still can be) a devastating illness leading to disability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wren! I order from a delivery service and they don't really give answers. I got a flare but it has subsided now. So far Brenda's medicine seems to be working. We will find out in a week or so. Thanks for your concern.

      Delete

Would love to hear what you have to say!