Tuesday, August 7, 2012

CROHN'S AND THE OLYMPICS?

I have Crohn's disease.  There I said it.  No one wants to hear it.  Either people don't know what it is or they know what it is and they don't want to talk about it.  Who wants to talk about gas, diarrhea, and bowel issues?  No one, I assure you. 

Then this week there was this timely article about the Olympics and Crohns Disease.  I know I thought the same thing: what could they have in common?  There is a kayaker named Carrie Johnson who was diagnosed with Crohn's while training for the Athens Olympic Games.  She had horrible fatigue, severe weight loss and anemia.  Not the things a person training for the Olympics needs.  She was put on the right medical plan and finished 10th in her race.


Of course when Carrie first heard Crohn's she went to the internet (what do doctor's tell you not to do?) and read everything she could find.  All the worse case scenarios!  Surgery, short life span.  Crohn's can be caught early and with the new drugs those worse case scenarios do not have to happen.

I remember when I thought I had Crohn's and I was so scared.  I had never heard of it. Then the doctor told me I had it.  I didn't want it.  Could I give it back?  I am sitting here right now with a stomach ache not being able to eat anything but some white rice and sprite.  I don't know how she gets in a kayak and competes.  

Carrie is competing at the London Olympics in the kayaking single flatwater K-1 500m and K-1 200m. She has been eliminated from the K-1 500m in the semi-finals but still has a chance in the K1-200m.  I wish her the best Friday when she races!

It takes so much courage to speak out about Crohn's disease.  I appreciate Carrie Johnson for being a champion for Crohn's disease.

Have you been watching the Olympics?  What is your favorite sport?  Who is your favorite athlete?

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!