Saturday, May 6, 2023

CORONATION & DERBY

 After two days of rain, my garden is really growing. I ordered more seeds to grow my herbs. I know people say you have to grow them inside first but they also said that about the veggies in my garden. I am going to give it a try. I got basil, thyme, parsley and dill. I already have mint from years ago and oregano from two years ago. 

I woke up at 5 am to watch the coronation of King Charles. I figured I saw Diana's wedding, Diana's death and funeral, Queen Mother jubilee, William's wedding, Harry's wedding, Queen jubilee, Prince Philip funeral, Queen funeral and now the coronation. I am not a Royal Watcher but you kind of can't help seeing this stuff if you watch the news.  I was in London right after the Queen's Golden Jubilee.  Here is my impression: I understand the pomp and circumstance but with the world the way it is right now, right after millions of people dying of COVID, children orphaned, businesses lost, loved one's lost, the economy on the downside, businesses going out of business, do you think this was the best time to spend 1.5B pounds on a giant celebration of a royal system that some people think is unnecessary? It seemed a bit egotistical for a guy that is saying his platform is about saving the environment and all about service. If he wanted to save the environment he would not have had all these people fly in to see him be crowned for a couple of hours. If he wanted to be of service, he would have had a small service and televise it and encourage people to be of service not just for one day but do what they can. Offer opportunities. It just seemed a bit hypocritical. You know all those people went out and bought new dresses and hats/fasinators (sp?).  Why not ask people to wear something they already own to save the planet. There could have been so many ways he could have shown he was for the environment and not just all talk. 

I was glad Harry went because if he didn't he would have regretted it later. Your father only gets to be king once. Do I think Camilla should be Queen, no. Queen Elizabeth expressed that she wanted her to be Queen Consort. That is the way it should have stayed but Camilla has a hold on Charles that we will never understand. He has to live with her. 

At 5 am I only saw them come out of the church and ride to Buckingham Castle. So I went back to sleep and woke up later. I have Britbox and they recorded the whole thing so I watched it all from the beginning. I got to see the whole service but I used my FF button quite a bit and the 4 hours took about 1.5 hours, if that. I just wanted to see the ceremonial parts in the church and who was at the service. 

Once that was over, I did somethings like change my sheets and walk Lucky. We stopped by an open house because my neighbors moved. I love seeing inside the houses and see what changes they did. I saw the house before they moved in, while they lived there and now after the spiffed it up to sell. Don't worry I carried Lucky through the house. 

Then it was the Kentucky Derby. I almost didn't watch it due to the deaths of too many horses this week. I don't care the reasons. One horse is too many. The horse I was rooting for came in 3rd. The horse that won was such a long shot and was owned by 300 people. It was a consortium and some of the people put in $50. Isn't that fabulous?! I love that they are making horse racing in the big races for the common person. 

I am giving a shout out to my sister-in-law and niece for the awesome video they sent me today. 

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. The Derby was interesting more for the horses that did not run in comparison to those that did. With 7 deaths in the days leading up to the race, one cannot help but be concerned.

    Now it is not as bad as it seems. 2 of the 7 were racing injuries. the fact it happened on the same day is unreal but at least that is explainable. the other five we simply do not yet know what happened.

    I hope that people do not let this go. Horse racing is so brutal for the people involved and the beautiful horses. We have to keep in mind that it operates for betting. Horses are commodities for the betting establishment. At least we humans can insist it is as safe as possible. While we are at we need to make it safe for the humans as well.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!