Tuesday, February 12, 2019

"PASSING PRIVILEDGE" AND DISABILITY

I read this interesting article today about "passing privilege".  I have rheumatoid arthritis as well as a myriad of other auto immune diseases.  This is a disability.  At times I have been in a wheelchair because my hips, legs and feet hurt too much.  I have not been able to walk more than a block and just getting out of bed is excruciating.  I can't open a jar or a wrapper because my hands are too painful.  Getting a cold or flu can turn into something much more serious if I don't take care of myself. 

But when you look at me, you would not know that I have a disability.  I look like a regular person on the outside.  I don't yet have crooked fingers or toes.  I don't have a hunched back that some people think of when they think of people with arthritis.  I don't walk with a cane or walker (yet). 

This is called "passing privilege".  I am disabled but I don't look disabled.  I am able to "pass" for a non-disabled person.  My friends and family know and are wonderful at assisting me when it becomes necessary.

For years when I was working at a company, I was terrified to tell people that I had RA.  I didn't want anyone to say "I needed a pass because I was sick" or that "I didn't need to work as hard because I was sick".  Instead I worked harder than anyone there.  Overcompensating and probably making me sicker. I told my boss (who was a certified nurse) and her response was "you don't look sick".  Hence the name of my blog!  That stopped me from telling others at the company.

Once I started my own company, I decided I was not going to keep quiet about RA.  I wasn't going to advertise and put it on my website or anything but I would talk about RA if it came up.  If anyone talked about being ill or having an auto immune disease, I would share my story.  It is amazing how many people open up about their medical issues once they hear my story.  I am no longer afraid to open up and explain what RA is and how it effects me.  But I almost always hear, you don't look like you have RA. 

I decided that if I lost a client because they thought I was too sick with RA, it would be their ignorance and their loss.  I have never lost a client and instead I have very caring clients especially when I am ill.

I still have "passing privilege" about my disability but I try to use it to educate people when I can.

Today I went to my Occupational Therapy appointment for my wrist and arm.  Arnold was super nice.  He wants me to do these exercises 5 times a day for two weeks.  Then I go back.  By then my wrist should be healed.  Then I will be ready for therapy. 

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!