Sunday, September 16, 2018

NAME DAY

Today is my name day. A name day is a tradition in some countries in Europe, Latin America, and Catholic and Eastern Orthodox countries in general. It consists of celebrating a day of the year that is associated with one's given name.

I never knew what a name day was until my friend who lives in Sweden celebrated her name day and she told me when mine was.

I think a name day is cool!

NOTE: I was told this was my name day but I can not find where my friend researched that this was my name day. The only two places I find my name listed on a Name Day list it is on April 23 or Sept 8.

September 8 Name Day - Saint Adrian was a pagan officer at the imperial court of Nicomedia. Impressed by the courage of a group of Christians who were being tortured, he declared himself a Christian and was imprisoned with them and suffered excruciating tortures before he was put to death. His young wife, Natalia, who was present at his death, comforted him in his agony, recovered one of his severed hands, and took it to Argyropolis near Constantinople, where she fled to escape the importunities of an imperial official of Nicomedia who wanted to marry her. She died there peacefully on December 1. Adrian is the patron of soldiers and butchers.

January 9 Saint Adrian of Canterbury - Saint Adrian of Canterbury was a highly successful missionary in pagan England. He was also a great teacher of Bible study.  This name day means brave.

Maybe my friend got the date wrong.

I'll have to figure this out!

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!