Saturday, March 24, 2018

ADOPTION CONFERENCE

I went to an adoption conference today.  It was an all day event.  Some other folks from my adoption class were also there so we had lunch together.

The conference had a key note speaker and then a bunch of different "classes" that you could attend.  There were classes for social workers, adoptees, and foster parents/adoptive parents.

The key note speaker talked about microaggressions.  Example: when someone says to a foster parent: "Isn't that child so lucky to have you?"  or "Isn't he so grateful to have you in his life?"  both of these comments are microaggressions because although they are meant to be compliments to the foster parent, they will make the foster child feel badly.  The foster child should not be made to feel grateful or lucky to be fostered.  They deserve a good home like everyone else.  That is just one example.

Then I went to a class about Trauma and EMDR & Brainspotting.  EMDR is a therapy that is used with trauma survivors.   Brainspotting is a new therapy that she explained to us.

After lunch with my friends, I went to a talk on Race.  It was not as good as I expected it would be.  I guess I had high expectations.

Then I went to another class with the Keynote speaker.  I really liked this class on Reclaiming Birth Culture.  This is about the difference between race and culture.  A person can be Asian and adopted by a white family in the mid-west.  They might be brought up in a full white culture and may loose their Asian culture.  To reclaim their culture the child (when they grow up) may take an extended trip to their biologic country to immerse in their culture.  Some may move to their biologic country.  Very interesting.  A long discussion about if a family of one culture can really instill a culture of a child of another culture.

Overall it was a day well spent and I get credit for it.

Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!