Sunday, January 22, 2012

Healthy Food Challenge and Crohn's

I started the Healthy Food Challenge during the month of January to start the year eating well. The first week I ate a nutritious breakfast everyday. Then the second week I ate grains during the week. Week three's instructions were to eat at home. I made ribolati (soup) that lasted all week.

But then I had a Crohn's flare. When I have a Crohn's flare I am not able to eat many foods. The main food I can eat is mashed potatoes and iced fruit pops. This week for many days I could not eat much more than potatoes and ice pops. I ate all my meals at home except one when a client took me to lunch. Hey, I didn't have to pay for it! Eating at home is healthier and saves money.

I have been cooking so much my freezer is full with soup, polenta vegetable casserole, and now risotto. No more slow cooking until I eat some of the food in the freezer!

Today I cooked most the whole day. Tomorrow is book club and I am hosting. Since it is Chinese Lunar New Year and our book selection is based in Britain, I made Chinese Almond cookies and Three-Apple Crumble. Then I made Slow Cooker Risotto. I didn't expect the risotto to come out so well. If you want to try it, don't be afraid. Just know it makes a lot. I was afraid when I first put in the cooker but four hours later...mushroom risotto! Yum!

Shout out to my nephew who broke his ankle this weekend playing basketball. Poor thing! He is a teenager and it is hard to miss all his activities at that age.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!