Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Blood Test for Diagnosing Rheumatoid Arthritis

I was reading the news today and came across an article about a new test that diagnoses Rheumatoid Arthritis earlier.  That is good for RA sufferers.  Early detection means early treatment and hopefully slowing down the progression.  My early detection and treatment has slowed down the progression and deterioration of my joints. 

The new blood test is called Anti-cyclic Citrullinated Peptide (anti-CCP).  According to the article, New Blood Test Diagnoses Rheumatoid Arthritis, by Denise Dador, many people will show a positive test result years before symptoms begin to show.  The blood test is correct 86 percent of the time.  There is some concern that the blood test results can be confused for the results for other diseases such as lupus, psoriasis or some viral infections. 

Overall the new test could be a good way for doctors to get a jump on treating patients with rheumatoid arthritis.

Update on my foot: Just when I thought it was getting better...I went out to run some errands and now the capsulitis seems to be acting up again.  I guess it will take longer than I thought.

4 comments:

  1. Actually is not that new... It has been around since 2005...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. The article I read came out on the 10th of January 2012! I guess it was a slow news day! :)

      Delete
  2. My biggest problem with ra is patience. I want things to get better and get better now! Hope your foot listens and obliges :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! I am too impatient too! I just want it to feel better so I can go out and walk my dogs in this great weather we have been having before the crappy weather comes. I know it is coming and THAT is when my foot will feel better. Ha ha!

      Delete

Would love to hear what you have to say!