Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Choosing a Good Book

I had my book club this week and I had a hard time reading the book. I hear a lot of folks like P.D. James books but I I did not. I tried reading The Private Patient. I read 70 pages before I gave up. I tried; I really did but I kept falling asleep. Then I decided to listen to the audiobook. I listened to it at night and those were my best nights of sleep. I slept like a baby.

As you can imagine I didn't know who killed who and how they were murdered. I didn't have much to discuss at book club.

During the meeting we had to choose a book for the next meeting. The question is, how to choose a good book for book club? We went through the list of the 100 top books of the century. Many of those books are too long (like War and Peace long) or not very good for a book discussion. I brought two books to vote on (we vote on our books selections) but no one was jazzed about them. After about 30 minutes of discussion and web surfing to find a good book, we settled on the Moviegoer. The next morning we changed our minds to Finding Nouf. Sounds like an interesting read. I love a good mystery.

Have you read any good books lately?

1 comment:

  1. I loved Neal Stephenson's new book, Reamde. The title is a misspelling of readme, which is the name of a computer virus that starts a commotion around the world. He writes a great story, but he writes loooong books.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!