Monday, September 19, 2011

Overwhelming Fatigue

For the last couple of weeks, I have been having this overwhelming fatigue in the afternoons.  I will be sitting at my computer and all of a sudden my arms feel like they weigh hundreds of pounds, my eyelids cannot stay open and I cannot concentrate on anything.  I feel almost helpless to fight it.  The only action I can take is inaction.  I can only sleep.  I take a short nap.  Little by little the fog clears and I can get back into the game of life.

This fatigue is aggravating.  I am not normally a person who takes naps.  I find it stressful.  If I am so tired, I should just go to sleep earlier.  I just can't seem to stay awake in the afternoon.  I am lucky that I work for myself and can take a nap if I absolutely have to.  I just hope this bout with fatigue passes quickly.

Arthritis Today magazine states that 95% of rheumatoid arthritis sufferers report having fatigue.  At least I am in good company!

Arthritis Today magazine has some great tips on dealing with the fatigue:
1. figure out the reason for the fatigue.
2. keep a fatigue diary.
3. ask your doctor how the fatigue can be treated.
4. figure out ways to cope with the fatigue.
5. make sure to get a good night's sleep.
6. deal with limitations to your energy.
7. ask for help!

If you have fatigue, figure out the reasons and talk to your doctor.  Also, know that if you have RA, you will have fatigue at certain times.  Prepare yourself for those times so you are ready for them.  It doesn't mean you won't despise those times, but at least you are prepared for them and they are not a surprise.

I have a plan when the fatigue gets really bad.  I have a bunch of movies ready for those times when I can't get off the couch, my partner knows she will have to take care of the dogs and all activities we have planned will most likely have to be canceled.  But on the good days, we try to make up for the bad days!  We know the good days will come again soon!!  Hey, the sun is finally shining where we are, so life is good!

3 comments:

  1. You probably already know this, but our circadian rhythm is such that we experience an urge to sleep in the early to mid-afternoon. It's a perfectly natural time to take a short nap. If you've been having gray weather and are affected by the lack of sunshine, that might also be making you that much sleepier in the afternoon. And of course, RA DOES also cause fatigue. For me, my level of fatigue is directly tied to the amount of pain I'm experiencing. On less painful days I generally have more energy. Lately, I've experienced weeks of low-to-moderate, continual pain and, you guessed it, I'm feeling pretty wiped out. Like you, I'm lucky that I can take a short nap when I need to.

    Here's hoping you'll be feeling better and more energetic soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Wren! I have days when I have lots of pain and days when I have "regular" pain. These days I have the later. I am just plain wiped out.

    You and I will continue to take our short naps and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to find a fix for the fatigue of ra. And...I have tried everything including ra meds. I have finally resolved that when the fatigue monster comes lurking, I am ready. I have my blanky, eye mask and the sandman waiting on me. So far, this is the only fix for those times.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!