Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Machines Are Against Me

Ever feel like machines are against us?  Today is just capping off the insane week I had.  First I took my car in to get some electrical problem fixed and they said we need to keep it for three days while they wait for the part to come in.  The angel on my shoulder said "Don't leave it." But I ignored that angel (as we often do) and left it. Never again! Then the next day my computer network (I work from home) decided to quit working. I spent the whole day trying to fix it (including taking two buses to and from Best Buy) to buy a part that I ultimately didn't need because I fixed myself at the end of the day.  Then when I went to pick up my car, the drivers side mirror was broken.  Not the actual mirror but the whole mirror housing was BROKEN and they didn't point it out to me.  I had to notice it myself.  Didn't the guy who drove the car out to me notice the broken mirror?  No.  After yelling about the broken mirror and them promising to make it right with a new one, I calmed down.  At least I got the car back for the weekend; although with a broken mirror...

Lemon Pie Cookies
I decided the problems are over, right, they come in threes! I decided to make cookies using the Meyer lemons from my backyard.  I took some to my neighbor who's roommate recently passed away.  Turns out it was his birthday!  I had no idea but wasn't that happenstance! 

While making the cookies, I found a new way to zest a lemon.  I am not sure if you have a problem zesting lemons but I do.  I can't hold onto the lemon with my stiff hands.  The lemon slips out of my hands. This time I cut the lemon in half first, juiced it and then zested it.  That way my thumb had a place to go and have leverage.  Made it much easier!  I also used my grandmothers juicer (pictured right) which made it easier to get the juice.  Elegant and effortless!

Then this morning my bad luck with machines has struck again!  I took out my brand new camera to download the photos from the children's party we went to yesterday.  It doesn't work.  The camera is only one month old!  At least this time I got my pictures off before it died.  Oh, I guess I never wrote this but during my last vacation, my camera died and I lost over 100 photos of our vacation.  I probably didn't write about it because I was so depressed.  Luckily I have the greatest family and everyone sent me their photos so I feel like I have my photos back! 

This trend can not continue!  How do I make machines love me again?  Is there a throne to the machine goddess where I can put some oil, tighten some screws or remove some dust bunnies? Come on, there has to be something I can do to turn this around....Any one have some advise??

1 comment:

  1. It sounds to me like you've had a year's worth of Bad Machine Luck all in just a few days, so hopefully you're all done with it now and life can go on more or less normally. Of course with RA and all those other autoimmune diseases, "normal" is pretty subjective, eh? I've had the same trouble with lemons, so THANK YOU for the good advice on how to zest them more easily. I think it's very nice that you made cookies for your neighbor, too. Lemon cookies... mmmmmmm. Here's hoping that the oncoming (incoming?!) week will treat you well and that you'll feel wonderful, Adrienne.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!