Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Increased Risk Of Skin Cancer?

How many of us use Enbrel, Humira, Cimzia, Remicade, and Simponi?  These drugs inhibit a natural protein called tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNFa). TNF inhibitors protect the body from infections and cancers.  A 2006 report in the Journal of the American Medical Association found an increased risk of cancer and serious infections in people using anti-TNF drugs.

A recent analysis of 21 studies conducted between 1998 and 2010, as well as eight study summaries that had been presented at research conferences during the same time frame showed no increase in other cancers, but appear to show an increase in the risk of developing skin cancer. All the studies focused on the potential for cancer risk in association with the use of standard TNF inhibitors. 

“But while we can perhaps now put aside our worries about other types of cancers, this does give us some indication that we need to be vigilant when it comes to skin cancer,” Dr. W. Hayes Wilson, chief of rheumatology at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta added. “And we certainly need to have a high index of suspicion if a patient has a skin abnormality, and make certain that they see their dermatologist.”

The Mariette study appears in the Sept. 8 online issue of the Annals of Rheumatic Diseases.

Read the full story at WebMD or Health.com

Personal Comments
I know I have to be diligent to keep applying sunscreen.  My dear friend recently had some skin cancer removed and it is scary.  When I was taking Methotrexate I was SO sun sensitive I could not go into the sun without being covered up and "lubed up"with sunscreen for the two days following taking the medicine .  If I didn't, I would sizzle like a french fry!  My dermatologist would scream at me. 

It is an interesting dilemma for me.  I have blood tests where I have low Vitamin D levels.  The best way to get Vitamin D is to go into the sun.  Sunscreen blocks your skin from absorbing Vitamin D.  Since I work from home I try to sit in the sun for short periods of time so I can get some Vitamin D but don't get skin cancer.  It is a fine balance.  Skin cancer vs. osteoporosis.

Please be vigilant with that sunscreen and keep the skin cancer away!

1 comment:

  1. I wish more studies would be conducted on how tnf meds impact a patient that has developed another type of cancer and whether taking these meds while unkowningly having cancer would increase its spread. I suspect they would but no studies have been done to my knowledge. I have always said to get tested for all the cancer screenings as suggested while on tnfs including breast, prostrate, colon, etc. etc and if you have any odd signs get them checked out. And for me, I will not take another tnf because I did have two thyroid cancers. I have had different opinions from different rhuemie docs about whether I should revisit them...one said absolutely not, another said it would be just fine. Go figure...as clear as mud even among the "experts" for ra.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!