Monday, November 28, 2011

Say WHAT?! (#NHBPM Day 28)

I am still not feeling well.  I have a slight fever and don't feel like myself.  Let's hope it is nothing serious!  Gotta internet shop today, right?!  Ha ha  or is it Ho Ho Ho.

 I used to work for a person who thought she was very empathetic.  You know the type.  In her opinion she was very caring and giving but in reality, she wasn't.  In fact if she read this, she wouldn't think I was writing about her ("You probably think this song is about you, You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you Don't you? Don't you?" You were singing it, I know you were!)  When she hired me I told her that I had RA but I told her I didn't want anyone to know about it and I was not comfortable speaking about it at work.  I would need time off to visit doctors appointments but that she would never have to worry about me making up the time or ever slacking off because of my illness.  In my four years working for her, we never spoke about it at any length except when I was ill she asked if I was okay. 

Then all of a sudden one day, out of the blue she decided to have a conversation about RA. One thing I have not mentioned is that she was a nurse in a previous life.  Prior to becoming a president of a company, she was a nurse for many years.  She has some medical training and some would think, some compassion.

As we were talking she asked me questions about RA.  I look at all questions as a time to educate people who may not know anything about RA and it's effects.  Then I heard it.  The comment that made my eyes bug open:  I know you say you have RA but you don't look sick.  Aren't you lucky?  This coming from a supposed educated medical professional.  It just shows you that even medical professionals can be ignorant about RA.  Much of my pain is not evident from the outside.  I do not yet have crooked fingers or other telltale signs of RA.  Not to mention that many of the signs of RA are not always seen on the outside.  I explained to her that not everyone had crooked fingers and that everyone had different symptoms.  I also was put on medication early which should slow down the progression.

I have heard others say to me, you don't look sick, and it didn't bother me so much.  But that time, I guess I expected something else. 

What is your Say WHAT moment?  What did they say that made your head snap back or your eyes roll back?

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!