Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sleepin' With The Fishes

Friday night a friend and I watched The Godfather.  I know this will sound unbelievable but I had never seen The Godfather.  I had heard all about The Godfather and had heard all the lines but had never sat down and actually watched the whole movie.  So, we made a date and made some snacks and got comfortable and watched the loooong movie. 

There were two quotes from the movie that I feel compelled to discuss.
"Good health is the most important thing. More than success, more than money, more than power."
~Hyman Roth~
(Hyman Roth is a fictional character in The Godfather.  He was born Hyman Suchowsky.  He was a Jewish investor and a business partner of Vito Corleone, and later his son Michael.  Hyman Roth is based on mobster Meyer Lansky. )

What is money and power if you don't have your health?  Some of the most powerful people have been brought down because of poor health such as Fidel Castro.  Successful and wealthy people (think Steve Jobs) hide the fact that they are ill in order to keep stock prices up and not scare away stockholders.  How many of us have hid the fact that we are ill from bosses, friends and family?  Scared we may lose our jobs, not get promotions or be treated differently.
"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."
~Don Corleone~

Marlon Brando from Wikipedia


If you have  watched The Godfather or heard of the The Godfather, you have heard this quote! You probably even know Marlon Brando's accent and can say the line, "I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse."  I like to think of this line when I think of Adrienne's Disease.  I want to look Adrienne's Disease in the eye (you know, if it had an eye) and use my best Brando accent and say "I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse."  Then Adrienne's Disease goes away!  Runs away scared or I would have to shoot it or strangle it or drop a piano on it or put a dead horse head in it's bed.  I am up for the challenge. I am not sure I could do the horse head thing...but the rest, I could do it.  Adrienne's disease be gone!

1 comment:

  1. That movie bothered me for a very, very long time after I watched it...the first time. Me...I want to take out a contract on my ra :-)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!