Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Being Gracious

One thing I have had a hard time learning is to be gracious.  I am a very independent person.  I tend to do for myself.  Before Adrienne's Disease (AD) struck, I was really good at being the person who helped others and not the person who needed help.  Then AD happened and I suddenly found myself in a position of needing help on occasion.  I needed rides to the hospital on occasion (my partner doesn't drive) or someone to push me in a wheelchair.  It was hard for me to ask and even harder for me to be gracious when people offered.  I tend to say, "Oh, no thanks, I am fine" or "No thanks, you don't have to do that."  It is still my first reaction when my parents try to slip me some money (like some parents do).  I tell them "you don't need to do that, I don't need it."   If I do accept the help/money/assistance I feel guilty for putting the person out or for taking anything from them.

It is part of my evolution to learn to be gracious and just say Thank You.  When a neighbor offers to get me something from the store, instead of saying "no, that is okay, I can get it." I need to learn to say, "that is very sweet, thank  you.  I will pick something up for you next time!"  Then feel good about it. 

Gracious means characterized by charm, good taste, kindness, and generosity of spirit.  I need to work hard to have a generosity of spirit.  Just say thank you, appreciate the kindness of others and know that I will do what I can to help them some time in the future.  I may not be able to push their wheelchair but I am sure there will be other things I can do to help out.

So for now I will smile and say Thank You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!