Thursday, October 13, 2011

12 Nice Things You Can Do

I can across this article on the CNN website that I really liked.  It is titled "12 Nice Things You Can Do For Someone In Pain" By Anne Harding.  I am including the list for you to read.
  1. Asking what you can do to help out is great but take that extra step.
  2. See what you can do to make their shots less painful.
  3. Support their dietary choices.
  4. Slow down and walk their speed.  Help them if they need assistance walking.
  5. Help them by making the bed.
  6. Don't ask them how you can help, just pitch in and help.
  7. Learn and understand what you can about RA. Being informed is one of the best ways you can help.
  8. Make them a meal on a day they may not be feeling well.
  9. Help them with their kids on a day when they may not be feeling up to it.
  10. Offer them a lift to the doctor/hospital/supermarket.
  11. Assist them with opening jars, bottles, etc.
  12. Heating pads, hot water bottles are a life saver.
  13. Exercising together is key!
 I have a few more ideas:
  1. Ask if you can walk their dog or walk their dog with them.  Or take care of their dog if they are in the hospital.
  2. Help them with yard work.
  3. If you know they are not feeling well, take out their garbage cans, shovel their walk, cut their lawn, etc.
  4. Ask them if they would like a book from the library.
Do you have any ideas?  I know I am so thankful when my friends help me out.  I have asked my neighbors more than one time to drive me to the hospital when I was unable to drive myself.  I am eternally grateful for their friendship. 

2 comments:

  1. I like this list alot! Thanks for sharing it. My family is helpful but only if I ask. I often wish they would "just do it" like the Niki commercial says. I hate having to ask for help with something. I have had ra for twelve years now and I have no doubt they know what bothers my ra the most. I try not to focus on my ra but there are certain things that hurt like you know what with ra: vacumming, doing the floors and the bathrooms are at the top of my list. I would add for others to ask if they can pickup anything from the grocery store if they are doing their own shopping. Sometimes one is feeling too bad to even make the trip at all. Again, thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list. I'd add:

    Ask questions about their RA. Sometimes we need to be able to talk about it without feeling like we're boring people. Sometimes talking about our pain is an attempt to reach out, not for sympathy, but empathy.

    Thanks for sharing it with us, Adrienne.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!