Wednesday, October 12, 2011

World Arthritis Day 10-12-11


 This is my first year blogging for World Arthritis Day.  Actually it is the first year I am even aware there is a World Arthritis Day.  But I should have guessed since there is a day for almost anything, which we already established (see post What Will You Do For World Arthritis Day?


I will probably celebrate it by taking an Enbrel shot.  Toast to a long flare-free year!  Yahoo!

I thought about a topic to write about and came upon a recent discussion about some bonehead thing Dr. Phil said.  Now, usually I like Dr. Phil.  I find him entertaining with his little southern sayings and his down home country tidbits.  I like that he doesn't let people (especially men) get away with saying stupid things.  But even Dr. Phil has to realize he is not a physician.  He is a psychologist. I understand that Dr. Phil received his Doctor of Philosophy in clinical psychology in 1979 at the University of North Texas, where his dissertation was titled "Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Psychological Intervention".  I also read that the Dr. Phil Foundation raises funds to fight childhood obesity. 

With all that information it would seem that Dr. Phil has a rudimentary understanding of both rheumatoid arthritis and childhood obesity.

I guess that is why it was so shocking to hear Dr. Phil say on his show that juvenile obesity can cause may issues including arthritis.  Huh?

During the January 6th, 2011 episode "The 17 Day Diet Challenge", Dr. Phil stated:
“Changing your lifestyle and becoming healthier can prolong your life and help your children.”Seventy percent of children who are obese become obese adults," Dr. Phil says. "And we're seeing adult diseases show up in children; adult diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, essential hypertension. These things are showing up in children — and we didn't see [this] a few generations ago — because of this obesity.”

Dr. Phil has now said the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. 

Let's be clear: Obesity can cause a problem with osteoarthritis not rheumatoid arthritis.

Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a long-term disease that leads to inflammation of the joints and surrounding tissues. It can also affect other organs.  It is an autoimmune disease, which means the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue.

Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common joint disorder.  Osteoarthritis is caused by 'wear and tear' on a joint.  Being overweight increases the risk of OA in the hip, knee, ankle, and foot joints.

I am not obese and if you knew me before I got ill, I was beyond thin.  I was even asked many times if I was anorexic, I was so naturally slender.  I come from a family of thin people.  I am heavier now because I have been on doses of Prednisone for years.  Now I gain weight just dreaming of food! 

This is a case of not believing all that you hear even if it is on a show with a title that has the word "Doctor" in it.  Dr. Phil needs to retract his statements that are wrong, misleading and insensitive.

Happy World Arthritis Day!

My numbers are: 120-31-(40-50)  That is: weight at onset of RA, age at onset of RA, and current age.

  

3 comments:

  1. Great write-up. Thank you for participating.

    Did you see that yesterday Dr. Phil's blog posted a retraction? Yay! He said he misspoke, and clarified what RA is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dr Phil for the correction. As I have always said a group of people can make a difference! if you want to read it.
    http://blog.drphil.com/2011/10/12/world-arthritis-day/comment-page-1/#comment-42301

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Adrienne! World Autoimmune Arthritis Day is coming up on May 20th and we are having some events as we work our way toward the first ever 47 hour Virtual Event. I was wondering if you could please send me your email so that I can send you a letter with some information for you to get you involved. We would love your participation. It is going to be so exciting!

    Thanks, Dana Morningstar (IAAM Volunteer, Blog Leader, WAAD Presenter)
    danalm_iaam@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!