Sunday, June 19, 2011

Take Your Medicine

Tonight is the night I take my medicine.  Well, I take medicine everyday but tonight I take my Enbrel shot.  You may have seen the commercial for Enbrel on TV or in a magazine.  They spend a tremendous amount of money on advertising.  Do you think that could be the reason the medicine costs more than $700 per month?  My partner, Brenda, hates those commercials because they make it seems like once you take a shot, you will be mountain climbing or hang gliding.  That is not how it works for me.  I take the Enbrel shots and I am not as tired and my pain is not too bad.  But I still can't mountain climb!

HOW ENBREL WORKS
Chronic inflammatory diseases like moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis are believed to be caused by a problem with the immune system. The immune system protects the body from infections and certain diseases. One of the proteins that plays an important role in the immune system is called tumor necrosis factor (TNF). People with these inflammatory conditions have too much TNF in their bodies. Although TNF is a normal part of immune response, increased levels of TNF play a role in the inflammation associated with certain rheumatic conditions. ENBREL reduces levels of the active form of TNF. ENBREL works on your immune system to reduce inflammation and help manage certain rheumatic conditions.  Enbrel is called a TNF blocker medicine.  ENBREL was the first biologic approved for moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis.  ENBREL can lower the ability of your immune system to fight infections.

So tonight is the night for my shots. First, I have to take the medicine out of the refrigerator one hour ahead of time to cool it off.  Then I take the two syringes and prepare the ENBREL solution by mixing the dry solution with the liquid in the syringe.  I prepare the syringes for the injection and then inject myself in my upper thighs.  I give myself one shot in each of my thighs once a week.  It really doesn't hurt.  I once used the Pre-filled syringes and, boy, did they hurt!  I also tried the Sureclick autoinjector (it is like one of those epi-pens) and those are painful too.  I really hate to cause myself pain so I will stick with the syringes.

It is time to do the deed.  So, here I go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!