Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Necessity of Insurance

One thing that is really important when you have a chronic illness is health insurance.  When I was laid off from my job 33 months ago, I began COBRA insurance payments.  Every month I take my COBRA insurance payment to the Post Office and mail it with a return receipt so I will have proof that I mailed it.  The clerks at the Post Office know every month that I am mailing my insurance payment. They look forward to seeing me each month.

Today I received a letter in the mail stating that my COBRA insurance was canceled on March 1!  This is June! It turns out that the company I worked for canceled their insurance policy on March 1 so I no longer have any insurance through COBRA.  I tried to stay calm when I opened the letter.

I called the insurance company and was told that I am part of a group of people who are unable to get individual insurance policies therefore the insurance company has to give me an insurance policy called a guarantee issue policy.  Guarantee issue policies are expensive and have a huge deductible but will be medical insurance!

Hey sometimes life serves you a curve ball.  The funny part is that my COBRA insurance was going to come to an end in three months and it has been so stressful for so many months, I am almost happy it is over.  There will be no more running to the post office every month to pay the bill on time.  No more worrying about filling out the applications and getting them completed and sent in on time.  No more stressing over which plan to choose.  I just wish they had told me in March not in June.  I guess with all this modern technology it still takes more than 3 months to notify someone that their insurance is canceled.  I am sure if I had missed a payment, I would have been sent a cancellation letter in days not months! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!