Monday, December 26, 2022

BOXING DAY 2022

I know boxing day is not celebrated in the USA but I like to celebrate it. It is so English. There are many origin stories of how Boxing Day came to be. In Ireland December 26th is called St. Stephen's Day. Stephen was the first Christian martyr, stoned to death in c34 AD. Being a saint's day, it has charitable associations. Charitable boxes – collections of money – would have been given out at the church door to the needy, according to historyextra.com.

During Queen Victoria's reign in the 1800's, the day became Boxing Day where the rich families gave gift wrapped presents to the poor. Since the servants worked on Christmas, the rich gave them presents, leftover food, and money on the day after Christmas as part of tradition. I remember the scene in Downton Abbey where the servants packed up and left after Christmas and the family had cold sandwiches with no one to cook for them. 

Now, boxing day is a bank holiday and a big shopping day.  

My boxing day was spent walking the dog on a long walk, reorganizing my office now that the TV is gone, watching TV and playing on my VR. I decided that since my office TV is now in the garage in my workout space, I will not replace my office TV. Instead I put my reading chair in that space. The room really opens up. I like it better. I just have a bunch of junk I need to sort through. Then my office will be a zen place to work. 

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

Would love to hear what you have to say!