Wednesday, December 10, 2014

IMMINENT STORM

The whole area is battening down the hatches.  A storm is approaching.  A big storm.  They are showing it on the doppler radar and everything.  For days it has been the top story.

Schools are closing for tomorrow.  People are being told to stay home from work.  People are at the store buying food, batteries and water.  The city even ran out of sandbags.  We have sandbags in our city?  I didn't know.  And I went out and bought sand to fill the umbrella holder for my picnic table!

I am trying not to laugh.  As a person who grew up in the Northeast, it is quite funny to hear that schools are announcing they will be closed tomorrow when not one raindrop has fallen. 

When we were kids we trudged to school through snow and rain.  It had to be really snowy for our school to be called off.  We walked to school when there were torrents of rain.  I remember getting school with wet clothes where my raincoat stopped and my boots began. 

I guess we were tougher in those days. 

I don't really understand it here because the kids either take the bus or their parents drive them.  They don't even touch the rain.  So, why do the administrators need to call off school?  I guess having less people driving on the road is a good thing.  People out west don't know how to drive in the rain.  They hardly get any so they don't get enough practice! 

Well, I have to go search out my extra batteries and charge up my electronics!

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!