Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I cried and she said she was sorry

Today was one of those days where I just had to cry.  The day is going along well.  I had lots of work to do (finally) and I am getting things done for my impending vacation.  Then the phone rings...  Brenda says it is Amy (the names have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent) from The-Company-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.  Amy told me that the company where I used to work's broker has offered me a Kaiser plan for one month (7/1/11-8/1/11). 

RECAP: If you you have been reading this blog you may remember, my Cobra coverage is for 36 months.  Those 36 months run from 8/1/08 through 8/1/11.  My health insurance from The-Company-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was through the company I used to work for.  The company I used to work for went out of business or dropped their medical coverage on or around 1/1/11.  That meant I lost my health coverage.  The-Company-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named tried to retroactively cancel me (twice) but ended up keeping me on until 7/1/11. Whether my complaint to the Department of Insurance had anything to do with it, we will never know.  Now you are caught up to today's events.

So Amy tells me over the phone that my coverage with The-Company-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is going to retroactively be cancelled YET AGAIN back to 7/1/11.  I have been offered the one month of Kaiser coverage from 7/1/11 - 8/1/11 that I have to take.  Then I can go back with The-Company-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named on 8/1/11.  That begin a RANT that poor Amy has never before heard:
I can't believe they are doing this to me again.  How many times are you going to cancel me?  I don't want to go on Kaiser for one month, my doctor's aren't on the Kaiser plan.  It is the 13th of the month already!  So for two weeks I have to go on to Kaiser and then what?  Why do you keep doing this to me? 
Then I begin to sob uncontrollably!  I am ranting and crying into the phone!  It was a sight to see.  Poor Brenda is standing behind me rubbing my shoulders.  
I have a chronic disease and you people keep cancelling my insurance. How many times are you going to cancel my insurance?   Do you know how many times The-Company-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has cancelled my insurance?  This is unbelievable! Now you want me to go onto Kaiser for two weeks, where I have no doctor's and then switch back in two weeks?  For what?  I was approved already!  Now you are going to retro cancel me again?!  I don't mean to take this all out on you Amy, I am just so mad!  Why do you keep doing this to me?
Kauai 2004
 At this point Amy is trying to calm me down.  She is apologizing to me!  She says I understand.  I will get my boss to look into it.  I tell her thank you between the sobs. We hang up.  In less than 10 minutes, the phone rings, it is Amy.  She apologizes to me for upsetting me and says I have nothing to worry about.  She spoke to her boss and I don't have to go onto a Kaiser plan.  She said "I have looked into your file and you have been through enough.  We don't need to put you through anymore."  I thanked her and said when you have a chronic disease, it is hard enough to get insurance and to keep it, you will fight tooth and nail.  I need this insurance.  She said don't worry you have the insurance.

Some one told me once to just cry but I thought the tears wouldn't come with the Sjogren's.  They came today!  Like a waterfall!  So, how was your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!