Sunday, September 25, 2011

Some Days I Dislike My Hands

I am pretty lucky.  My hands are in pretty good shape considering I have RA.  I don't have visible joint damage and most days I don't have horrible swelling.  What I do have is a problem holding items and opening things.  I get frustrated that I drop things constantly.  I will be in the shower and drop my razor, then get out of the shower and drop my brush and the day just continues like that.  I drop pens, forks, knives, keys, pills, remotes, phones, and the list goes on.  I also have a hard time opening jars, bottles, cans, etc. 

I find it frustrating when I am alone and I can't get a bottle open or I can't turn the can opener which means I can't get the can open.  I really depend on my partner to help me with these tasks.  When my hands first started getting stiff, I would get so frustrated, I would cry.  But then I realized that was getting me nowhere.  I have to let go and ask for help. Meanwhile, bending over to pick things up has now become part of my workout routine! 

I know how my hands will most likely look in the not to distant future so I try to look at them while they still look nice. I know that sounds vain but I want my hands to stay pretty.  And stay functional!  I try hard to love my hands everyday!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Your hands do look lovely! I try not to worry too much over changes anymore. Be them physically or otherwise because I do my best to control my disease with what I can tolerate and the rest I leave up to the almighty powers that be :-) I will admit thought that I miss wearing rings.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!