Sunday, December 18, 2016

HYDROGEN BREATH TEST PREP

Today is the prep for the Hydrogren Breath Test.  I am forbidden to eat beans, nuts or granola.  I am a vegan.  What does that leave me?  Oh, I am allowed to eat rice.  Woo Hoo!

The hydrogen breath test uses the measurement of hydrogen in the breath to diagnose several conditions that cause gastrointestinal symptoms.  In humans, only bacteria - specifically, anaerobic bacteria in the colon - are capable of producing hydrogen. The bacteria produce hydrogen when they are exposed to unabsorbed food, particularly sugars and carbohydrates, but not proteins or fats. Although limited hydrogen is produced from the small amounts of unabsorbed food that normally reach the colon, large amounts of hydrogen may be produced when there is a problem with the digestion or absorption of food in the small intestine, that allows more unabsorbed food to reach the colon.

I am not allowed to eat after 7 pm.  The test is supposed to take hours.  I am super interested in the how the test works and nervous at the same time.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!