Saturday, April 18, 2015

SAFETY DRILL

Today we had our city wide safety drill.  It is so important to be ready for all emergencies.  If you participate in drills then when the emergency happens it will be rote. 

Years ago my apartment burned and it really made me realize how important it is to be ready.  I have my go-bag all ready for if something happens.  It has all my safety equipment in it.  Then we have our emergency box with all our emergency items.  Food, plastic bags, batteries, flashlights, first aid items, insurance documents and pet documents.  We have water stashed.  We could survive for three days.  We have a charger that has a USB plug so we can charge a phone by winding a crank.  I won't be able to have long conversations but I could send a text. 

For the first day or so we could barbecue/cook on the barbecue a bunch of food.  Or hook up our camp stove.  After that we will be eating a bunch of soup and canned veggies.  It will not be exciting food but it will be food.  We buy canned food at Costco and in a pinch we can always eat that.  Take some canned tomatoes and mix in some canned corn and peas and heat it up.  Maybe throw in some canned black olives.  Then depending on the situation, if we have water and can heat it up, cook some pasta and voila! dinner!

The drill went well and I had a good time.  At first when I got there I was not that thrilled about being there.  I sat back and watched everyone at the drill mill around.  Then I got involved and began to have fun.  I did triage, put out a fire and learned all about how to get someone out of a car with a live electrical wire in the immediate vicinity.  (the bunny hop, believe it or not).  The day ended up being fun and interesting.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!