Tuesday, February 10, 2015

DID HE NEED A FREE TRUCK?

Tonight I watched a football player receive a gift of a new truck.  Normally I would not even listen to the story but this particular story really annoyed me.  Here is the story:

When the Patriots won the Superbowl, Tom Brady won a free truck for winning the Superbowl.  Because Malcolm Butler had a great play that won the game, Tom Brady gave him the truck.  (There are also other reasons.  Malcolm has been driving an older truck.) 

After his last Superbowl win, Tom Brady donated the truck he won to his high school which in turn raffled it off for $365,000.  

The reason this annoyed me is that it would have been good PR for Malcolm Butler to donate the truck to a charity of his choice or to a needy family instead of keeping it.  The man is not so poor he can't afford a new truck.  Butler made $585,000 this season, including a minimum of $420,000 and a $165,000 bonus that all Patriots players got for the postseason.  To make it seem that he can't afford a $35,000 truck really is slap in the face to families who have to buy cars on wages far less than six figures.  Granted Mr. Butler does not make as much as the $8M contract that Mr. Brady has but he can still afford a truck. 

I write this as a I gaze at my beloved 13 year old Cabrio VW convertible. 

Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. Nawww, he didn't need a free truck, and he'd be a much better person if he gave it to a charity to auction. For that matter, TB didn't need a free truck, either. Funny how the rich get everything, and a lot of it for free, isn't it?

    So sorry your little buddy has been so sick! It's so hard when an animal friend is ill--and it would be wonderful if they could talk and tell you what's wrong, I agree. I hope the flagyl helps her tummy and gives her some relief.

    That "big rain" the weather guys/gals were in hysterics over sure was a disappointment. Sure, we got a little rain. It came down hard a few times, and there was some gusty wind. But jeezly crow, it wasn't the Storm of the Century! I wish they'd quit with the hysteria--we get all excited, thinking there will be a lot of rain and then ... pffft. Oh well. Maybe I'm just being a pill because I'm so freaking tired of this "beautiful," dry, warm "winter," and I know "summer" will be here any day... sigh.

    Sorry I've missed so many posts lately, Adrienne. Hope all is well today--and be sure to take some time out from working and chasing cranes ()what kind?) to have a little fun, k?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am tired of this warm weather. My family is all in the snow and I feel bad complaining about it being 70 degrees and sunny again. If I wanted this weather I would have moved to Hawaii.

      I will post a photo of the crane. It's not very good but you can see him.

      Delete

Would love to hear what you have to say!