Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Attended an Arthritis Lecture Today

Today I went to the Library to hear an arthritis lecture.  Most of the information I knew already but there were some interesting statistics that were new to me. 
  • 50 million people in the US have a doctor's diagnosis of arthritis; 5.5 million of them are in California.
  • Arthritis is the # 1 cause of physical disability in the US.  
  • Women are 3 times more than men to get arthritis; 2/3 of those cases are under the age of 65.  
  • Arthritis costs $128 billion each year in medical costs and lost wages.
I am deciding how I want to get further involved.  I am not the "let's start a support group" kind of person.  I am not in any shape to do any physical stuff.  I am not interested in being on a committee, standing all day at a fair or working with kids at a camp.   I think I am more of the speaker or ambassador type of person.  I want to advocate for my disease.  I want to talk and lobby for arthritis.  I know I am good at it.  I have no fear talking to my representatives. 

I guess this is a good time to tell my story about going to the Arthritis Walk about 10 years ago.  I have raised money for the Breast Cancer Walks for many years.  I always have such a good time at those walks.  I almost always go by myself and always find someone to talk to and walk with.  Well, I went to the Arthritis Walk by myself and it was a horrible experience.  I got there early and walked around.  There was no where to sit down and no one spoke to me.  I tried to talk to folks but most of the folks were there in groups and the staff were very cold.  So I did the walk and got in my car and went home.  Oh, first I got in my car and called Brenda and cried.  It was so disappointing.  The directions said no dogs but so many folks had dogs, I wish I had brought Happi!  At least then I would have had someone to walk with!

I need to rest my ankle/foot since I have a long walk tomorrow at the Giants/Marlins game.  I think the Giants will be very tired since the game is still going at 11pm in the 12th inning and the game tomorrow is at 1pm.  Wish me luck with my long walk to my seats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!