Monday, January 23, 2012

I am so STRESSED

Well, my foot is STRESSED!  Seems that I have not one, but two stress fractures in my foot.  Yup, you heard me right.  Two stress fractures!  So, everyone was right that I should have an MRI.  Turns out I have a stress fracture at my third toe; that is where it has been hurting.  But I also have a stress fracture at my big toe.  Hmmmmm.....  That is where months ago I told my doctor that my toe was hurting and he said it was from some blah, blah, bad feet, blah.  I told him it really hurt bad and he said we need you to see a foot guy to get orthoodics. You know those things to put in your shoes.  I got them and my big toe still hurts occasionally.  But I have learned to live with it.  As my foot doctor says, you folks with RA learn to live with the pain because your pain scale is so off the charts you have no concept of what "normal" pain is. 

Seems I have been walking around for almost two months with stress fractures in my foot.  I am scared to have them do an MRI on my other foot!  Ha Ha.  It also makes me think that my ankle injury last April, when I wanted to get an MRI and the doctor wouldn't do it, might also have a stress fracture.  

Here is the part that isn't fun: why?  Why do I have two stress fractures in my foot when I haven't done anything?  I don't run (obviously!)  I can hardly walk.  I don't do extreme sports. I don't remember falling down.  I haven't had any major injuries that I remember.  I don't remember dropping anything on my foot.  Hey, I get knocked around when I do things and I end up with bruises.  I am not the most elegant person.  Okay, I am trying to say I am a klutz some times and end up with bruises and such.  But I don't remember hitting my foot so hard it would fracture it twice.  I know I have CRS and that makes it hard to recall certain things but I think I would remember whacking my foot really hard. 

That leaves the question: why do I have stress fractures in my foot?  Is it a vitamin deficiency?  Is it the medications I take?  Are my bones getting brittle?  Am I turning into The Thing.  He is a fictional character and a founding member of the superhero team, The Fantastic Four.  He looks like a rock.  No, not Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. 
The Fantastic Four  www.fusedfilm.com

Frankly, I would rather turn into Susan "Sue" Storm Richards (also known as Invisible Woman) and played by Jessica Alba. But who wouldn't. Getting off topic just a bit.

Well, I am in the boot for two more weeks and then I have to wear "hard soled shoes". Like Danskos. Then I go back to see the doctor. Meanwhile, I have made peace with the boot. Not friends just yet but we have made peace.

2 comments:

  1. You need a bone density done and ASAP. Stress fractures can be an indication of osteoporosis which is thinning bones. Put on that cape and fly thyself over to get a bone density test done. And are you by chance taking calcium and have you been tested to see if you are low on vit d3? OK, stepping off my soapbox now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, I had a bone density test about 10 years ago. I am really bad about taking calcium. I gives me heart burn a lot of time. Although my nutritionist the other day gave me a different type of calcium that I am going to try. I get tested for vitamin D (and all the nutrients) all the time due to the Crohns. Since Crohns makes me deficient on different nutrients at different times so sometimes I am deficient in Vitamin D but it doesn't last more than 1 month. I think it is the Crohns... Thanks for the info. I will get another bone density test ASAP. Thanks!!

      Delete

Would love to hear what you have to say!